If you noticed, everyone started off with their own stride, their own pace.
你们若是注意,每个人都是以自己的步幅行走。
Now, I didn't bring them up here to ridicule them.
我叫他们上前不是为了嘲弄他们。
I brought them up here to illustrate the point of conformity:
我让他们上前是为了说明“一致”的重点。
The difficulty in maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others.
在他人面前坚护自己信念的困难所在。
I would've walked differently.
我本可以走得与众不同。
We all have a great need for acceptance.
我们都非常需要被认同。
But you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own
但你们必须相信自己的信念独一无二。
Even though others may think them odd or unpopular
纵使别人可能认为它奇异或者不入流。
Even though the herd may go, that's bad.
纵使庸俗的大众可能会说,好烂。
To struggle against great odds, to meet enemies undaunted
与逆境不屈抗争,以无畏的气势面对敌人。
To be a sailor of the world bound for all ports.
做世界的水手,游遍所有的港口。
Oh, I live to be the ruler of life, not a slave.
我要做生活的主宰,而非奴隶。
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way.
当你认为你知道某件事时,必须再以不同角度看它
Even though it may seem silly or wrong, you must try!
即使那看来似乎愚笨或错误,你们都必须试试。
Now, when you read, don't just consider,what the author thinks,consider what you think.
当你阅读时,别只想到作者的见解,想想你的见解。
Boys, you must strive to find your own voice.
孩子们,你们必须努力寻找自己的声音。
Because the longer you wait to begin,the less likely you are to find it at all.
因为你等候起步的时间愈长,便愈不可能找到它。
Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.”
梭罗说,“大多数人都生活在平静的绝望中。”
Don't be resigned to that. Break out!
别听任此事发生。要突破!
Robert Frost said, two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
劳勃佛洛斯特说过,树林里两条岔路,我选择人走得比较少的那条路,那里有天壤之别。